M-RETS® validates the environmental attributes of energy to serve as a trusted centralized gateway to environmental markets.
We envision M-RETS® playing a critical role in a thriving renewable energy industry. M-RETS® is the leading renewable energy tracking and trading system in North America, driven by balancing the needs of both voluntary and mandatory stakeholders. We are recognized for our role in public outreach and education.
- Integrity: We strive for the highest standards of fairness and transparency in all that we do.
- Data-driven: Objective, accurate, and reliable information is central to everything we do, and we are guided by rigorous standards for data quality, research and analysis.
- Collaborative: We engage stakeholders to be inclusive, flexible and creative in accomplishing our goals.
- Solution-oriented: We are proactive and innovative in our focus to achieve the most streamlined and beneficial long-term solutions.
- Stewardship: We value responsible use of resources and foster affordability and cost-effectiveness.
M-RETS will track environmental attributes used for voluntary claims in all states, provinces and territories in North America. Eligible generation for compliance purposes may be located in Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin, and the Canadian province of Manitoba.
In addition, any generator outside of the geographic footprint of M-RETS® owned by a participating utility, or a generator with a contract with a participating utility to deliver energy into the M-RETS® footprint may participate in M-RETS®. Any other generator may participate at an adjusted fee schedule.
Renewable generation is defined as energy generated by a facility that is considered renewable as defined by any state or province. The M-RETS® Administrator will issue one electronic M-RETS® Certificate for each MWh of energy that is generated by registered generators. To prevent double-counting, generators participating in M-RETS® track their generation output by M-RETS®. In addition, M-RETS® will consider tracking nonrenewable generation from any of these states in the future.
Participation in M-RETS® is voluntary although some states may designate MRETS as the tracking system to be used to meet State renewable energy standards. Any party, including non-generators, such as traders, marketers, and end-use customers may establish an account in the system.
All data in M-RETS® is verified. M-RETS® will not determine eligibility for state or voluntary programs. Each individual state will be responsible for determining whether or not a particular generating unit qualifies for a state program or not. However, the State Commissions may use the information collected and verified by M-RETS® to conduct this determination. M-RETS® will issue reports on activity within the system.
M-RETS® production data is provided by the Midcontinent Independent System Operator, Inc