Objective, accurate, and reliable information is central to M-RETS’ operations.
To register a generating unit in M-RETS, an account holder must attest that the unit is not registered in any other registry.
To substantiate renewable energy claims, M-RETS defines a REC as a “whole REC” and includes all environmental attributes.
To prevent double-counting, M-RETS requires the reporting of 100 percent of the output from a registered unit.
M-RETS sources the vast majority of this data from meter readings of the Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO).
For smaller distributed generators, M-RETS relies on subscribers to self-report generation data, which must be confirmed by an independent verifier on an annual basis.
Eligible generation for compliance purposes may be located in Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin, and the Canadian province of Manitoba.
Starting with vintage 2018 generation, M-RETS will track environmental attributes used for voluntary claims in all states, provinces and territories in North America. M-RETS is an independent non-profit organization, making it unique amongst REC or energy tracking systems in the U.S.
Generators: Capture Environmental Value for Clean Generation
- Creates a platform that places a dollar value on environmental benefits
- Allows clean and green generators to access an additional revenue stream or “green” premium
- Ensures more liquid commodity pricing
- Reduces transaction costs for generators and suppliers
Utilities: Ease RPS Reporting and Compliance
- Introduces administrative and cost efficiencies
- Unbiased third-party verification
- Addresses data confidentiality concerns
- Assist in reporting RPS and compliance
Marketers/Brokers: Offer Credits to Your Customers in the Region
- Ensures increased market liquidity
- Provide your customers an opportunity to benefit from renewable energy in the region
- Leverage easy to use, proven platform that enables tracking and trading of credits